When designing a website, you want to make sure all aspects of the website are working and you have pertinent information present – you even need to think about error pages that you don’t intend the user to visit. It is standard practice to have a 404 not found page when someone visits a web page that doesn’t exist or can no longer be found. This error page should provide useful information and resources to the user, depending on their needs. Here are some do’s and don’ts for creating an effective 404 not found page:
- Do include a brief but helpful message to let users know why they were unable to access the page they requested. This will hopefully let the user know that the page they are trying to visit is no longer reachable.
- Provide some useful links to related pages or allow them to search for other content on your website. This will hopefully guide them back to relevant pages that they may be looking for.
- Make sure the 404 page is visually appealing and includes relevant images, animations, or videos.
- Provide a search bar so users can easily look for content on your website.
- Make use of humor in the page’s error message, as this can help lighten the mood and make the experience less jarring.
- Don’t use a generic error page from your web hosting It’s important to create a customized 404 not found page that reflects the look and feel of your website.
- Avoid displaying an overly technical error message, as this can make users feel frustrated or overwhelmed.
- Don’t include distracting elements on the page such as unrelated images or ads. Keep it simple and relevant to your website’s design.
- Don’t forget to test the page before going live; make sure all links work correctly, that the search bar works and that the page loads quickly.
404 pages are usually not the first thought when designing a webpage, but they are an important aspect to consider. By creating a custom 404 not found page, you can create a better user experience and restore the trust of your visitors after they encounter a broken link or mistake. Taking the time to create an attractive and informative 404 error page will help you make sure that nothing slips through the cracks. A trusted SEO company to help design your website will think of all the aspects for your website so you don’t have anything slip through the cracks. Find a Mesa SEO company to help design your website.